The “Devil Dogs” is a nickname given to the United States Marines who fought in the Persian Gulf War (1990-1991), also known as Operation Desert Storm. The Devil Dogs Of Desert Storm Challenge Coins honor our US Marines that served during the period of war.
This nickname is a reference to the German word “Teufelshunde,” which was used to describe the fierce fighting spirit of the Marines during World War I. The “Devil Dogs” nickname has become synonymous with the courage, bravery, and tenacity of US Marines in combat.
Marine Corps In Desert Storm
The United States Marine Corps played a significant role in the Persian Gulf War (1990-1991), also known as Operation Desert Storm. During the conflict, Marine units were tasked with a variety of missions, including securing the rear area, providing air defense, and conducting amphibious assaults.
The Marines’ ability to rapidly respond to changing battlefield conditions and carry out a variety of missions made them an invaluable asset to the coalition forces during the war. Overall, the Marine Corps’ performance in Desert Storm was widely regarded as a success and helped to reinforce the reputation of the Marines as one of the world’s premier fighting forces.
USMC Equipment Used In Desert Storm
The United States Marine Corps (USMC) used a wide range of equipment during the Persian Gulf War (1990-1991), also known as Operation Desert Storm. Some of the most commonly used equipment by USMC personnel in Desert Storm included:
- Body armor: Marines wore body armor to protect against shrapnel and small arms fire.
- Night vision devices: These devices were used to enhance visibility in low light conditions.
- Communications equipment: Radios and other communications equipment were used to maintain contact between units and with higher command.
- Vehicles: The USMC used a variety of vehicles in Desert Storm, including light armored vehicles (LAVs), amphibious assault vehicles (AAVs), and Humvees.
- Artillery: The USMC used artillery, such as the M198 howitzer, to provide indirect fire support to infantry units.
- Navigation equipment: Marines used compasses, GPS devices, and maps to navigate the desert terrain.
- Rucksacks and other gear: Marines carried rucksacks and other gear to carry supplies, weapons, and ammunition.
These were just some of the many pieces of equipment used by USMC personnel in Desert Storm, but there were many other items that were used in various roles and capacities during the conflict.
Join the Dog Pound!
Become part of the Dog Pound and receive announcements, cool stories, exclusive shirts and discounts. Be part of the team!