Lt. Gen. Lewis “Chesty” Puller, is a Marine Corps icon who’s known for his quotable quotes nearly as much as his battlefield accomplishments. When future US Marines in boot camp hit the rack they often recite an ages old quote stating “Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are” as a connection to one of the most decorated United States Marines in history. These are his famous quotes.
Here are 17 of the lines that show why Lt General Chesty Puller is beloved to this day:
2. “Don’t forget that you’re First Marines! Not all the Communists in hell can overrun you!”
3. “You don’t hurt ’em if you don’t hit ’em.”
5. “Hit hard, hit fast, hit often.”
6. “Where the Hell do you put the bayonet?”
(He said this while at a flamethrower demonstration. Apparently, Puller wanted to be ready to stab the men he set on fire.) He was as tough as they get. None better.
8. “Great. Now we can shoot at those bastards from every direction.”
(Puller said the gem above after being asked to comment on the 22 Chinese divisions surrounding his First Marine division. Marines by the way never consider themselves surrounded. The First Marines successfully broke through Chinese lines and advanced south, destroying seven of the Chinese divisions in the process.) A very good day in United States Marine Corps history.
11. “There are not enough Chinamen in the world to stop a fully armed Marine regiment from going where ever they want to go.”
12. “We make generals today on the basis of their ability to write a damned letter. Those kinds of men can’t get us ready for war.”
13. “Son, when the Marine Corps wants you to have a wife, you will be issued one.”
(This was Puller’s response to a young Marine who was asking permission to be married.)
It is because of US Marines like Lt General Chesty Puller the challenge coins artists and US Marines have created a series of collectible coins designed for our American heroes. These are the “Great American Heroes Challenge Coins”!
Goodnight Chesty Wherever You Are And His Famous Quotes is one reason the US Marine Corps is rife with tradition, honor, code and the firm understanding of what it takes to defend a nation.